Sunday, December 16, 2012

Everyone Has Something to Say About Sandy Hook

Pardon me if I meekly clear my throat and offer this:

To begin with, I find it disturbing that users of social media are co-opting the events that occurred in the town of Sandy Hook. The onslaught of memes and graphics from people who have little claim to those events except for, assumably, a strong sense of communal grief and empathy has been overwhelming, but not in a good way. If you have a meaningful comment to post, please do. However, if you're sitting in front of your computer, arranging the photos of the slain children into a collage you're hoping to collect "likes" for, then stop. The only people who should be using those images are the families of those children. They do not belong to you. Although this has become a matter of public mourning, there has to be some respect for the private pain that these families are dealing with, and whatever we're feeling, it simply can't compare. So say your peace, and then leave it alone. We have no right to craft a thoughtful response to this event. There should be no manipulation of images, no waxing eloquent, no sentimentality that isn't earned.

Furthermore, do we really believe that this is either a gun control or a mental health issue? Have we become such a nation of binaries that we can't imagine how it might be some of both and maybe even something else besides? See, I think it's at least a gun control issue, a mental health issue, and a community issue. In terms of gun control, do we really think that we either can have guns or we can't have guns? As a bleeding-heart liberal gun-owner, I like to think that there are some smart and reasonable people out there who might be able to craft legislation that's fair to responsible gun owners. And I believe the slippery-slope argument is listed as a logical fallacy in my college textbook. Look it up.

And of course this is a mental health issue, too, as were most of the prior mass shootings. What can we do about this? Remove the stigma of diagnosing mental health issues. Fully acknowledge that mental illness is a real, often chemical, thing. Find ways to fund and support the individuals and families that contend with mental illness everyday. I'm sure other things, too. I'm confident that there are knowledgeable people out there with great ideas for enacting meaningful change, but we have to be willing to move forward into uncomfortable territory.

In terms of this idea of community, it seems like the more private and isolated we become as individuals and as families within our communities, the more likely something like this can foment. And yet the more we become exposed to events like this one, the more inclined we are to withdraw into our homes out of distrust for our neighbors. Catch-22. When I learned about this event, my first thought for Dexter was home-schooling. So, great. The more we distrust each other, the more we isolate, the more we isolate, the more out-of-touch we become with our fellow human-beings. One can imagine how it might become easy to miss the signs of great mental disturbance in such a scenario. Family life used to be more public. We used to know the family that lived next door and across the street. The more we know about the individuals that live around us, the more we can empathize and offer support to them before that support has to be packaged as grief.

All I can say is that it's absurd to suggest that these sort of tragedies are easily attributed to one thing.

And we should stop watching the news. It's just a heavy-hearted doomsayer. Instead we should fill our precious time with joyous art and long walks through our neighborhoods. I'm oversimplifying, I know, but such logical fallacies belong to idealists like me who still refuse to believe that, as a rule, other human beings shouldn't be trusted.






4 comments:

  1. referred to the news today as the teat of angst and atrocity. max hates NPR w/ a passion usually reserved for fox commentators, as he sees how sad and stressed it makes me. and i applaud your ability to rationally discuss these matters, where i would have sunk into 'you're all a bunch of lunatic morons!' almost immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing is we all grieve in different ways. Some of us do it publicly and some privately. Some of us thrive on the information we can get and some of us don't want to listen. Some of us get angry and some of us get sad. For me, Liam and Rachel,I think it becomes personal. We all begin to grieve again for Alan. For us, it's about the families of the children and how they are feeling because we know intimately what they are going through. Others may feel guilt in their relief that they are watching someone else deal with this tragedy so they lash out or say stupid things or post on facebook. None of this is right or wrong. It's just a way to rid ourselves of the pain we are feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know Elyse, I don't have a problem with Social Media as a sounding board for people to work through this. I have a problem with people appropriating this event for creative uses and using it to facilitate the social media popularity contest. It bothers me to see people using the images of those children without permission. I guess my cynicism makes me question their motives.

      And I intentionally italicized "craft" because I'm bothered by the idea of individuals applying craft to their responses. I don't know. That strikes a false note for me: the thought of someone sitting in their home manipulating those images around his or her computer screen, hoping someone "likes" what they've created. Maybe it comes from a truly personal and meaningful response, but I'm just not sure...

      I respect the need to grieve either publicly or privately, as long as it's sincere. And, of course, I would never question your sincerity. Nor do I question most people's sincerity. I've just seen some things going around that bother me, but maybe I should assume the best about individual intentions.

      Delete
  3. I am echoing Elyse's thoughts and adding, this is how humans work. In various ways. We need to take a senseless and completely horrifying act that shakes our faith and trust in everything and process it in our own way. We cling on to a piece of reality or a perspective that allows us to conceive the inconceivable. The real bottom line is that there is no simple answer to 'how to fix this' because it's un-fixable. There is nothing we can do to prevent another, albeit differently planned and executed, but just as horrendous tragedy down the line. Still, we do what we think we can, which is grieve, share our thoughts, shake our fists and attempt to control what we have no control over.

    ReplyDelete