Friday, May 3, 2013

Miscarriage

Sometimes something terrible can startle you with its beauty. Take, for example, the bright ruby cabochon of blood I saw on my toilet paper a few weeks into an unexpected—but desperately wanted—pregnancy. The sun from the bathroom window glimmered off the perfectly round jewel, which was the first to appear, and then they just poured out of me, unformed and unfaceted, until I was an empty bag again. 

According to the week-by-week pregnancy newsletter I had optimistically signed up for, I was only in that fifth week, which is when this usually happens. The heartbeat comes a week or two later. Technically, I knew I was pregnant only for a short while, although my body knew prior to any plus symbol on a piece of plastic. I had a dream somewhere around conception that I was pregnant, and in it I could see the shape of a baby's hand through the skin of my belly. Sometime around implantation I was half awakened by a tingling in my breasts, which partially registered as dream. So I suspected. And just as I had a feeling I was pregnant before testing, I knew I wasn't pregnant anymore the minute I saw that first drop of blood. I checked in, and my body said, sorry, no. 

The hormone dump afterward complicated the grieving, or it made the grief for a gathering of cells that didn't even have a heartbeat yet more crushing, and I stopped functioning for a little while. My four-year-old said Mama, you're okay as he patted my head. The dogs crowded around my face to lick the salt off. My husband offered support and affection, but his response was more complicated since this was a pregnancy he didn't want.

A miscarriage happens thirty-three percent of the time in women over the age of forty. I guess I'm a statistic now. I'll be forty-three this June, and my husband doesn't want another child. I knew one was the magic number going in, so he's not a villain. I tried to renegotiate, and my accidental pregnancy ended in miscarriage. Therefore, it was the last chance I had for a second child. When we don't get what we want, we move on and hope no bitterness remains.

We have to admit though, if motherhood has resonated for any of us, we're talking a little bit about where addiction and instinct collide. For example, the painful sweetness as your baby first latches on, and you feel that cramp in your gut as his small mouth pulls your body back together. I remember how I wept as I folded the beanie and shirt my newborn son came home in, how they could fit in a Zip-loc. Knowing I will never again experience such complex joy feels like a personal tragedy.

And to be fair, it is personal. Directly after the miscarriage, I was a terrible person. I didn't think I could love my friends who were fortunate enough to have as many children as they wanted. I wanted to snatch babies away from teenagers I saw on the bus. I dreamed up ways to become pregnant anyway. But then when I became my true self again, once my body settled, I remembered how fortunate I am. I have a husband who is good with his son and good to me. I have a beautiful boy who is healthy and whole. I was able to become a mother and many women aren't. Many women lose their babies to accidents, violence, or disease.

In the end, really, I am one of the lucky ones.  

No comments:

Post a Comment